Friday, February 12, 2010

PEACE INSTEAD OF PANIC

If you're like me, I'm guessing at sometime or another you have experienced that feeling of panic that can strike when circumstances feel totally out of control. When your chest feels like it's being squeezed so you can't breathe, and you break out in a cold sweat, and fear grabs your heart. Have you ever felt that way? Well I have, and unfortunately it has happened more times than I would like to admit. The reaction can come in response to all kinds of things--medical emergencies, financial pressures, family issues, or time worries--like when I suddenly realize I am way overcommitted and I can't see a way out without looking foolish.

But lately, as I've been more intentional about looking for the abundant life Jesus came to give me, I realize this panic reaction does not please Him. What pleases Him in those situations is for me to "cast all my anxiety on Him" (1 Peter 5:7), and "don't be anxious about anything, but in everything present my requests to God with thanksgiving" (Philippians 4:6), and "pray continually" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). God really does know all about our troubles, He loves us with an amazing never-ending love, and He has the power to work in our circumstances. But sometimes it seems like He's standing back waiting for us to ask Him for His help before He steps in.

When we do give Him our anxieties, and learn to rejoice in Him in spite of circumstances, here is the promise: "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7 Wow! What an amazing, wonderful promise!

This peace He promised is one part of that full, abundant, joyful life God wants for us. I'm ready to turn my panic over to Him, and exchange it for the peace He offers. Are you ready?

God bless you with peace--
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment