Wednesday, September 15, 2010

THIS IS LIFE


What a wonderful, busy, satisfying summer this one has been--packed full with so many of the things that bring me joy. As I began to make a list of the things we have enjoyed this summer, the recurring themes that jumped out at me were PEOPLE and TIME.

Time with our daughters, son-in-law and granddaughter at our rustic family cabin in the Colorado Rockies--hiking, climbing, making homemade ice cream, relaxing.

Sharing laughter and memories with my extended family, gathered around a blazing bonfire on the beach.

Climbing rocks and walking along the beach with my sisters, sharing hilarious laughter one minute and deep things of the heart the next.

Exploring lighthouses and waterfalls on the Oregon coast with my husband and daughter.

Teaching Bible studies and sharing God's truth with Christian women, in group settings and one-on-one.

Accepting the gift of a perfectly toasted marshmallow from my husband during our weekend camping trip in the Arizona mountains, celebrating 35 years together.

Earnest prayer with friends and family in need.

Singing to our precious granddaughter, who quickly asks for "more" at the end of each song. Reveling in her heart-filling hugs.

Preparing meals with my sisters and daughters in Denver, where we gathered for our nephew's wedding. Posing for photos in our dress-up clothes, and then comparing and sharing the pictures.

Long phone conversations with far-away loved ones while I walked around the lake near our home.

Impromptu coffee and ice-cream with friends on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Morning talks with our visiting daughter, me pushed back from my home-office computer, she curled up in my antique rocker, resting against her grandmother's wedding-ring quilt.

These are the things life is made of--the time taken out of busy lives to connect, share, laugh, cry, pray and just be together.

I hope you are taking time in your busy life for the things that really matter--the things that fill you up and bring you joy.

And I pray that your days (and your life) are centered in the Source of life--our Savior Jesus. "I am the way, the truth and the life." Jesus, in John 14:6

2 comments:

  1. Makes me smile to read this. I'm happy for you and proud of you for making the choices you have and being determined to experience all God has for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, Your writing brings tears to my eyes. I'm not sure why, Maybe it's because memories are so precious. Taking time to be together is a marvelous gift.

    ReplyDelete